Saturday, July 25, 2009

Maybe it’s because Gesundheit is a German word! (Namibians are not fond of Germans. You know, colonialism)

I was sitting in a taxi, waiting (and waiting…and waiting…) for it to fill up so the driver would go. Another taxi driver was sitting in the car chatting with us. At one point I sneezed several times. My driver said “Father.” The other man said “In Oshiwambo we say ‘tate’ when you sneeze.” (‘Tate’ is the word for ‘father.’) I had never heard this before! He explained that it had something to do with you being sick and gross and disgusting and dying. I told him that in America we say “bless you.” He asked why and I explained how a long time ago, people thought your heart stopped when you sneezed so they blessed you in case you died. He said “We have very different ways of thought on that.” No kidding. Namibians are TERRIFIED of illness; this is likely because a quarter of the population is infected with HIV. When a person dies and their family vaguely says it’s because they’re “sick,” you can be pretty sure it was from AIDS. I recently got sick for a few days, and wow were the kids upset! You can’t use the word “sick” even, you must say you are “feeling somehow.” But I got some adorable get well cards! Especially the mistakes :) Ah I love these kids.

“Do not be afraid miss, you are getting better, God will bless you.” - Robert

“Miss teach. Jas go with you” – Samuel (I’m thinking he meant Jesus.)

“I don’t have enough to say. I am so worried that you are sick. I hope you will be better soon. May God bless you. Have a pleased day!” – Fiina

“Miss we want you to be very not sick.” - Tobias

“Miss pray for your god so that he can help you to feel better in Jesus name Amen. God bless you my love! God help you baby. Love you like as my daughter.” – Happy

“I hello Miss Lindsey. I hope you are filling better just have a rest.” – Petrus

“God must be your doctor and helps you when you are laying on your bed. I will send you some Angel to protect you on your bed.” – Wilhelmina

“To the one I love. Good Blees You!” – Martha

“I want to tell you a fun massage that it will make you feel better. Look in the sky look for your beautiful and shiny star. Point it with a peter point finger to see how much do I love you.” - Ngeendina (I have no idea what a peter point is)

And, the tatekuku (granddaddy) of all get well cards:

Dear Mis Lindsey –

Yesteday it was My Bad Day. When a came at school I was happy. But when I hard that Mis Lindsey is sick I was feeling sad. At first when I came inyour room I was sad but you was not feeling good. At second when I came at your room I find a paper that say Don’t. I sit at your door and cried and I went at class.

Home.
When I went at home I went in my room and sleep on my bed and sat crieng. My mom came is my room and say what you crieng for. I say that my beutifull teacher is sick and the don’t want as to go in her room and they say is somehow. My mom say that I mas stop crieng.

I tell my mom at I want to go and sleep with Miss Lindsey to take care for her because she is sick and to be like her mom. My mom say I mas stop her will get batter.

From: Nekwa Marian

2 Comments:

At July 27, 2009 at 2:41 PM , Anonymous Joy said...

Wow. You really ARE loved.
That one kid almost died right along with you, Boo!
Kids over here rejoice when their teachers are sick because they get to mess with a sub!

 
At August 5, 2009 at 4:19 AM , Blogger LL said...

What amazing children! SO SWEET!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home