Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Typical Day - per request

6:15 – wake up, eat, get dressed in whichever colors are that day’s chosen colors for the teachers to coordinate :) It really makes things quite easy. I wear the same 5 outfits week after week.

7:15 – on Mondays and Fridays we have school-wide assembly, which consists of the kids reciting the pledge, anthem, prayers, etc, and announcements. Other days, they do it in class.

7:30(ish) – 1:30 – classes are held. I teach three English classes a day, one to each of grades 5-7.

1:30 – 3:00 – lunch and rest for the learners.

3:00 – 5:00 – afternoon study. I spend this time in my room, marking and planning and helping the kids who come with questions.

5:30 – I leave for a run. I usually have a crew of kids with me, which is super cute and fun, not to mention motivating…man, they can RUN. The sun is going down at this point so it’s the coolest time of day to go – I mean that in terms of temperature. The sunsets are so vivid. It’s completely dark by 6:30. We run through the farms and fields of the village. It’s so amazing to have a giggling crew of kids speeding through the sand paths, bare feet leaving prints beside the cow and donkey prints, memes waving as they walk to their huts with baskets on their heads, herds of animals being tended by children with tall sticks in their hands, some of whom join the running crew (the kids…not the animals), all the while the sun setting behind the palm trees and leaving the most amazing colors streaking across the sky…whew. But it is EXHAUSTING! It is HOT and running through sand is TOUGH!

6:15(ish) – return to the school, stretch while the kids either laugh or try to imitate. Then shower, eat dinner, do remaining marking and planning, read if I have time. I do NOT have much free time, I work my butt off planning. Next term will probably be a little easier.

10:00 – SLEEEEEP

1 Comments:

At May 1, 2009 at 6:24 PM , Anonymous Mom said...

Baby, it sounds like a normal day at home! Go, go, go, go!
I really hope you are getting enough rest and relaxation. Although swimming with hippos and such doesn't sound like down time...
Take care, have fun. You'll be back to the old grind soon.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home