Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Ready?


Are you ready for this relationship? This is where I begin talking about me me me, for at least the next 15 months. Here we go…

So the beginning: on the morning of June 23, I received a message from a person very close to me that said “Please be careful…I had a dream about you last night. You called me and you were hysterical, but I couldn’t understand you.” Within a few hours, I was kinda hysterical, but for good reasons – I had been accepted to volunteer as a teacher in Namibia, Africa, through a great organization: WorldTeach. This was, to me, an incredible and happy omen (despite being temporarily misunderstood). I have been riding the wave ever since, and am thrilled to have the chance to teach in such an amazing environment.

Currently, a very big chunk of this experience is fundraising. This position is volunteer, and I must come up with around $6,000, which covers such things as airfare, health insurance, and cost of living expenses for the year-long commitment I’ve agreed to. Here’s how you can help:

1. Participate in my fundraising events! I am having garage sales, a bowling event, a raffle, and whatever else we can come up with. Your ideas and attendance are very useful!

2. Make a financial contribution! Donations are tax-deductible and can be made in the following ways:
a) sending a check made out to "WorldTeach" with my name in the memo line to WorldTeach c/o Center for International Development, Harvard University, 79 John F. Kennedy Street, Cambridge MA, 02138
b) calling 1-800-4-TEACH-0 (483-2240) or 617-495-5527 and mentioning my name to contribute by credit card
c) contributing online at http://www.universalgiving.org/donate/worldteach/id4947.do. Once you are on the website, click on “Donate on behalf of someone.” When inserting your donation information, you must include my name and e-mail address to ensure the donation does not go into the general fund.
3. Be my supermodel! My sister Joyce and I created some shirts, coffee mugs, magnets, and more that you can buy to show your support, PLUS a portion of your purchase goes toward my fund! Check out the goods at http://www.cafepress.com/sunshinesurfy (thank you Joyce!).

4. Keep in touch! I am quite unsure of the quantity and quality of communication I will be equipped with in Namibia, but I am sure that I’ll be anxious to receive contact from family and friends.

5. Share my story! (Don’t go hogging this blog all to yourself)

This is a very important dream for me, and I thank you for your support and encouragement! Feel free to contact me with any questions or for more information; I am happy to oblige.
Love, Lindsey :)

4 Comments:

At October 1, 2008 at 8:00 PM , Blogger James said...

hey! how did you get shirts made up? I wanted to do that, too. Hook a brother up with that info, por favor. Your blog looks awesome...especially that picture of the possum. You hillbilly! haha.

 
At November 1, 2008 at 3:32 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Lindsey Love,
Yes, it's your mother. This blog is great and you did a wonderful job posting information. But I wanted to tell people that you have another fundraiser and raffle on 11/14, so get your rsvp's and tickets early! Piston tickets, DSO tickets, a quilt, bottles of wine and gift cards are just some of the prizes!
Your bowling fundraiser was fun and everyone was very generous. But, on we go to another so that you can fulfill your dream and get to Namibia!
Good luck to you and thank you to all who are supporting your efforts.
Love,
Mom

 
At November 1, 2008 at 3:34 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Attention!
Linsey's story will be in the St. Clair Shores Sentinel this Wednesday, November 5. You can't buy it; you have to get a copy from someone who lives there. But, how exciting! Hopefully, this will bring attention and (maybe) some donations to Lindsey Love!

 
At January 16, 2009 at 4:14 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Lindsey, We are so excited for you! I hear from my Dad you are having a great time. We can't wait to hear all of the updates, maybe some pics too. Love from the Kerik Clark group

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home